printer_storage server

bahati0ne 12:45 25 Mar 11

Is it possible to use the same server for 2 x printers (usb) and 2 X external hard drives (usb) and if so what make please?

mgmcc 13:21 25 Mar 11

Not sure what you mean by "server" but, within reason, you can connect as many USB Printers and USB external drives as you want to a PC.

c4rm0 13:45 25 Mar 11

If you have a server operating system like server 2003/2008 you can set the role to a File Server / Print server

If you havnt got a server OS you can still install the printers and share them out and same applys for the hard drives

bahati0ne 18:00 25 Mar 11

I am looking to have 2 printers and 2 hard drives available to both desktop and laptop. I do not want to have to have desktop on to use them on laptop or laptop on to use them on desktop.
I would prefer wireless connection at least for laptop as I have my broadband set up as wireless.

robin_x 21:04 25 Mar 11

I have wanted similar for sometime and occasionally have a look around.

I did think something like the Startech here
click here

But, if it works, it is only 1 user at a time.
The reviews are also horribly bad.

Your post promted me to browse again.

My feeling is, cheap and cheerful, is no good.
Would have to be a NAS with support for USB extras.
eg printers.

This one seems to do the job.
click here

Out of my budget for a while. I don't actually 'need' one yet and too many other things have priority.

robin_x 21:05 25 Mar 11

Sorry wrong link above for NAS
click here

robin_x 21:06 25 Mar 11

Oh and I think if you have existing drives, you need to backup data and reformat to ext3??? then transfer it on. That would be a pain.

robin_x 21:10 25 Mar 11

And.....that's a single drive one. It was the 3 xUSB Printers allowed that caught my attention.
Anyway..that's my general idea.
2 drive NAS allowing 2 or more printers etc

mgmcc 21:12 25 Mar 11

>>> I am looking to have 2 printers and 2 hard
>>> drives available to both desktop and laptop

This is what I use to connect several computers to 2 printers and 2 external drives over the network. click here

robin_x 21:34 25 Mar 11

That's more like it. I really must hone my searching syntax.

bahati0ne 11:54 26 Mar 11

Thanks everyone.

I will give the Sharkoon a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…