Printer/Scanner/Copier install error

TommyRed 22:11 18 Nov 03

My friend has just installed a HP 1200 PSC but kept getting an error up. I went round and managed to get it to print ok but a script error (sorry didn't write it down) kept occuring during scanning, though the results where visible. I think it may have been a corrupt install as there should be 5 icons on the desktop and there are only 3. Thought about uninstalling and re-installing the software but his CD-ROM drive just kept ejecting the CD, and others we tried also. Two questions: is his CD-ROM drive on the way out? it's about 6 years old, and am I on the right track with the HP install? Thanks TR

Diodorus Siculus 22:29 18 Nov 03

Well, an option may be to download the latest drivers from the hp site and try them.

If the CD-ROM drive is 6 years old, is the PC the same age? That could well be the problem. What about the OS?

TommyRed 22:47 18 Nov 03

98SE but it has't had any AV or anything on it since new, ran Spybot and Ad-Aware they found about 300 nasties, which I didn't think was bad considering the time. I need to do a scandisk and De-frag next time I'm that way. I'm sure the CD when it worked for him said he had the latest drivers. I'll check that as well, when I can get the CD-ROM drive to work. TR

TommyRed 23:04 19 Nov 03

The update is he got a CD-ROM cleaner which allowed him to uninstall the original HP installation. It now transpires that he followed the instructions for a Mac not a PC. I re-installed it and then ran a print off of Belarc Advisor, this worked fine but scanning a photo yet again produced an error. This was 'Internet Explorer Script Error' An error occurred on this page.
Line: 274 Char:4 Error: object expected Code:0 URL: file://C:/Program Files/Hewlett-Packard/Digital Imaging/Scan/Scan.htm
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page Y/N
Belarc Advisor also said he only has 64Mb of RAM which is the minimum requirements for this all-in-one machine. Any more ideas on a solution most grateful. TR

TommyRed 23:21 19 Nov 03

bump

BarryKeith 00:23 20 Nov 03

Priority would be to get more RAM, then see what else is needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…