Printer on Zip Parallel port pass through

Laser157 21:35 05 Jan 05

On my second computer I have a parallel port 100Mb Zip drive and I'm trying to get a Canon LBP460 laser printer to work on the pass through. I have installed the printer OK but only after connecting it directly to the parallel port. Connected via the pass through on the Zip it causes the machine to freeze when Windows (ME) is loading.

Has anyone ever solved this? My HP720 printer always worked OK in this way.

Peter 22:34 05 Jan 05

I understand that some printers object to working on a pass-through set up. One solution would be to install an extra parallel port, if you have a spare slot to intstall it in.

Peter.

keverne 22:41 05 Jan 05

Have you tried the different parallel port mode settings available via the motherboard bios?

woodchip 22:42 05 Jan 05

It only worked with Old motherboards, as I used to have the same from Scanner. I doubt very much you getting it to work. But if you have old ISA slot in motherboard you can get a parallel port ISA card from PCworld for under a £10

Laser157 22:51 05 Jan 05

Thanks for the responses.

I have only tried EPP for the port as the printer will not deal with ECP. Could try normal, but that would slow down the ZIP which is slow enough as it is!

I agree with Woodchip and Peter it is probably not going to work.

I checked out PCI cards (no ISA slots) which you can get on e.bay for £10.

Decided in the end to buy a used internal Zip drive on e.bay for £5 plus £3 p&p. Then I will sell the parallel port one if this works OK.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…