Printer will print as expected except Word 2007

Diemmess 18:23 06 Jan 15
Answered

A nonageneric friend wants to print labels for the envelopes from Word 2007. He can print Photoshop and more or less anything he wants but anything from Word he has carriage movement and all printing noises, but a blank sheet of paper. He can print emails but not the borders of each email (I think I have that the right way round)

I've checked the printer (HP 1000) it is there as the defaut printer and there is nothing in the print queue.

OS is XP

northumbria61 19:28 06 Jan 15

Check to see you have "Print drawings created in Word" checked at Office Button | Word Options | Display: Printing options?

Bris 19:48 06 Jan 15

Also you could try turning off spooling and instead select "print directly to printer".

Diemmess 10:11 07 Jan 15

Thanks

"Options" > "Display" "print drawings created in Word" is checked on my PC, but before I phone my friend, what is the path to play with "spooling" and "Print directly to the printer"?

Peter 10:39 07 Jan 15

Diemmess,

It might be a good idea to Print Preview the Word document to see what Word intends to print so that you can check Word's settings.

Peter.

Bris 13:38 07 Jan 15

Diemmess.

click here

If that works and it prints, either way its probably a setting within Word thats causing the problem but at lest it will get you printing. As Peter suggested Print Preview may give a clue

Diemmess 16:30 07 Jan 15

A bit shredded after nearly an hour on the phone with a need to be diplomatic at times. Print Preview showed no difference I have the same software Word 2007 and XP so it was easy to compare his results with mine and note which were ticks and which were blanks. The only area which we didn't explore was the Pring Spooling which I was happy to ignore. Dennis claims all this ground (or most of it) has been covered recently

Apparently Word was uninstalled with the intention of installing a nice clean version. The snag emerged when the Word would not allow Re-install. The trouble is that he is 92 and at 80 taught himself to use Photoshop I just wish he knew a lot more to be able to help a bit.

Diemmess 22:19 25 Jan 15

Every sort of combination and substitution was tried.

To me the wishy washy print with no blacks only a very pale grey suggests the black print-head has failed. This is not a matter of life and death, he prints almost nothing these days, I'll see him again next week by which time he will have been visited by a local shop owner who did fit a replacement cartridge before Xmas.

Unfortunate man. His handwriting was never that good, and with slow onset of blindness (nothing can be done there) all sorts of grim factors.

Diemmess 11:11 09 Feb 15

A laconic email:

aLL ok NOW mANY tHANKS

Next time I saw him it appears the poor man's sight is waning very fast and though he can manage, all colour pictures are a waste of time to him. He does have some nostalgic pleasure looking for short sessions at the his memories of the past.

Diemmess 11:11 09 Feb 15
Answer

A laconic email:

aLL ok NOW mANY tHANKS

Next time I saw him it appears the poor man's sight is waning very fast and though he can manage, all colour pictures are a waste of time to him. He does have some nostalgic pleasure looking for short sessions at the his memories of the past.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…