Printer used without internet access

Beth 15:22 04 Jun 15

I need to buy a printer which will be used in an area without internet access. While I was researching I read one review which said that the printer (I don't remember which one) would not work until it was registered. Is this essential for all makes?

If I bring everything home and register it via my own connection will it still work when it is back in place?

Jollyjohn 16:04 04 Jun 15

All printers can be connected, by USB cable, to a computer and will work without internet access. There is a trend for "Airprint" printers that can be registered and used to print from iPads, tablets & smartphones. For this to work there must be an internet connection. A printer, connected to a computer, can be used by any computer on the local network by being "Shared". Exact details of how to do this depend on which flavour of Windows you are using.

Beth 18:27 04 Jun 15

I won't be using anything other than the local PC so your reply clears that up for me.

Thank you.

printerink 11:42 11 Jun 15

Buy the printer with UPS connection such as which is cost effective and reliable. Can also be replaced with

onthelimit1 11:50 11 Jun 15

Some software disks provided with printers are only an installation 'trigger'. Internet access is required to then download the full software. Once completed the internet is no longer needed. I think they must do this so no matter how long the printer has been in its box, you'll always get the latest drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes