Printer via USB port

dawsonc 11:28 08 Feb 06

My current printer is nearly as old as me and it is high time I upgraded it. It connects to my motherboard with an old fashioned multi pin plug (not sure what the technical term for this type of port) however most printers that I see advertised, seem to connect via a USB. I have an additional USB adapter card connected to my Motherboard, but it is not high speed. Will i stillbe able to connect a printer via this port.?

The two printers I have in mind are HP PSC 1350 &
HP PSC 1610, although I am not sure which one is the best.

keewaa 11:45 08 Feb 06

Type parallel usb into the search box at click here you'll need one of those adapters. I read things like ink levels might not work as these adapters can sometime only allow one way communication (ie printing).

Or install a Parallel card (eg type sweex parallel card into amazon search box).

I'd buy a new USB printer instead of spending £25 on an adapter.

dawsonc 13:07 08 Feb 06

I would like to attach the printer to a usb, however I just want to make sure that it will work on a non high speed USB port. How do I do that ?

dms05 14:15 08 Feb 06

I have a Samsung Laser ML-1520 connected via USB 1 and connecting it via USB 2 makes no difference in print speed.

However you are looking at 'all in one' products and they may require USB 2 for decent scanning speeds. The HP's you mention do specify USB 2 click here for a full review and specification e 1610of th

dawsonc 14:30 08 Feb 06

Is acquiring USB 2 just simply a case of installing a USB 2 card in place of the USB 1 ?...Or is there some sort of configuration procedure on the card I already have ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…