Printer upgrade

Toad_7787 17:36 20 Sep 03

I have an Epsom Stylus 740 printer which is about 5 years old. It works fine, but as I've just bought a new digital camera I'm wondering whether I'd get vastly better prints from the latest range of Epsom printers in £40-50 prince band?

Have printers improved much over the last five years?

Ta

JIM 19:17 20 Sep 03

Good service from your printer so let it continue
and buy for prints a printer with 6 colours if that is your main usage.Cost a little more than £50 Go to link and see what pc world are offering for online purchase.

They may have models that are being discontinued but so what if the price is right for a photo printer.

EPSON
STYLUS PHOTO 900
PHOTO PRINTER

WAS £179.99, USUAL INSTORE PRICE £149.99, SAVE £80, WEB OFFER ONLY! £99.99

EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 830U Photo Printer WEB OFFER ONLY! £79.00Price inc VAT was £99.99

click here

Djohn 20:06 20 Sep 03

I agree with JIM, and yes you will notice a dramatic improvement if you purchase a quality printer from Canon/Epson/HP. Spend between £150.00 and £250.00 on any of the above and you will be very pleased with the results. j.

wags 20:57 20 Sep 03

I agree with both the above postings. I very recently replaced my Epson 760 with the Canon i850 (£150) and the results are staggering for the money. The Epson was slow, but produced reasonable prints. The Canon is very fast (less than 3 mins for A4 photo on glossy paper), quiet and produces excellent pics. No matter how close I look, I cannot see any dots.

I would say that printers have therefore moved on in the past couple of years, but would personally avoid budget models and as DJohn says, go for one in the £150 - £250 price range.

pj123 22:04 20 Sep 03

I have an Epson Photo 915, current price around £135. Excellent photo quality. I also have an Epson C70 which has separate colour ink cartridges the price is close to your budget. I have printed the same picture on both and there is no noticable difference, providing you use Photo Glossy paper and set the print properties accordingly. The only difference between the two printers is the 915 prints borderless prints but the C70 doesn't. The 915 also accepts all camera memory cards directly so you can print out without using your computer if you want to.

Jean-Luc Picard 22:15 20 Sep 03

Why is it when anyone asks for information within a budget posters insist on suggesting solutions vastly in excess of the figures stated?

Djohn 22:28 20 Sep 03

It's very difficult to answer a question of this type unless you have both the experience of using a particular printer and knowledge of the person asking the question regarding his/her expectations.

It's true that printers have improved vastly over the past two years, and I must admit that I did overlook the price mentioned, In fact I had to re-read the post after reading your reply, it was then only, that I saw the price limit.

My apologies to Toad_7787 for not noticing this. To answer your question again, I would say that a new printer in the £50.00 region will give decent results, but if there is nothing wrong with your current printer, the difference in quality will be marginal, if any. Regards. j.

pj123 22:39 20 Sep 03

Jean-Luc Picard, mainly because any later printers within the budget he/she has quoted will not be any better than the printer he/she already has. So the real answer to his/her post is NO. But we are offering advice as well as help. The Epson C44UX is around £49 and the Epson 830 which does do borderless prints is around £85. Both these printers will print up to 2880dpi but the 740 max is probably 1440dpi and maybe only 720dpi. Don't forget everything is in the eye of the beholder.

Jean-Luc Picard 22:59 20 Sep 03

I take your point but when a poster talks about a budget of £40-£50 and receives advice suggesting they spend £150-£250 what use is that.
Not everybody who has a computer can afford the latest or the best they just want some basic advice.

pj123 23:18 20 Sep 03

Jean-Luc Picard I accept what you say. But the C44 at around £49 is within the budget. £150-£250 I think is a bit much. I only offered the 915, which I find is now £129 because it is a dedicated photo printer. Another good photo printer is the C70, just outside the budget at around £62.

wags 23:33 20 Sep 03

Jean-luc Picard, the reason I posted what I did, was because I have a very similar printer to the 740 and thought my own experience may in some way assist Toad 7787 in his decision. IMHO, if Toad 7787 only intends spending £40-50 (the Epson 740 was much more than this in its day), my answer is stick with the 740 and see the results from the digital camera first. If they are OK don't upgrade it for a very cheap new model as this would in my opinion be a waste of money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now