printer - suggestions please

palinka 19:34 17 Mar 08

a neighbour currently has an Epson C66.She used it seldom (eg perhaps prints one email every couple of days or even longer interval. + A very occasional colour print). Her house is kept quite warm (she is elderly).
She told me today that her printer has given up working (actually I think it will still print but only on certain settings - but I haven't been able to check this out).
I feel a distinct sense of deja vu as a couple of years ago another neighbour, simialr circumstances/usage etc had the same probblem with an Epson, though a different model.
Both were bought from local PC shop (quite highly regarded locally,with helpful owners & staff). The shop gave same advice on both occasions - do a print head clean; on this occasion they've suggested running that 3 times!

I use Canons (currently an iP4300) and have never had problems BUT my usage is totally different.
Can any of you suggest a not-too-expensive printer that will stand up to heat and infrequent use; and is preferably inexpensive to run. Even a lengthy shortlist would help - Otherwise I'll be spending a lot of time investigating on neighbour's behalf.

woodchip 19:53 17 Mar 08

New Epson as most Inkjet typ as that many holes for ink to come out, you need a microscope to see them. So if not used all the time get a Laser. As ink will dry if not used in these holes. Once blocked you will have a very hard time if not impossible to unblock them

woodchip 20:03 17 Mar 08

If just Mono I use a Samsung that is very cheap to run ojly had one cart in it so far, but the model as been superseaded mine is a Samsung ML-4500

Hears one click here

Colour Laser click here

Review click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos