Printer Storage..Suggestions please

Dumfy 11:35 23 Mar 04

Hi All,

I'll upgrading my printer shortly, an Epson Stylus Photo 750 and it will be going into storage when the new one arrives.

I was wondering what the best procedure is for long term storage of a printer? I'm concerned about the ink drying up in the heads rendering it difficult to clean or even re-use.

I'll be building a PC for my father-in-law for Christmas this year (forward planning, eh?) and my old printer would suit him fine...provided I can store it properly.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dumfy

Al94 11:43 23 Mar 04

I had a surplus Epson stored in the loft for almost two years, when it was brought down and sold with an old PC as a package, I was surprised that it worked first time! I may have had to put it through a cleaning operation once but that was it.

Belatucadrus 11:45 23 Mar 04

You may lose the print cartridges to drying after long term storage anyway, but try the following:-

1) Remove the ink cartridges and put each one in a small polythene bag.

2) Seal the bags with sticky tape.

3) Store bagged cartridges somewhere cool.

4) Put the printer somewhere safe, preferably in a box. If you can get hold of it adding a desiccant like silica gel is also a good idea to keep it dry.

Gongoozler 11:47 23 Mar 04

I wouldn't recommend putting an Epson printer into storage. As you fear, ink drying in the heads will be a problem. You may be able to prevent this by running a cleaning fluid through the heads first, but it is still very likely that some of the head channels will become clogged which will very likely be irreparable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…