Printer stops printing in the middle of a page

Bucko1 17:50 10 Nov 03

I have a really annoying but intermittant problem with my printers. I have an old Epson stylus 740 which I use for day to day printing and a new Epson Stylus 830 which is for photo's (both USB).

I have the drivers for both installed and alternate between the two by setting whichever one I want to use as the default printer and I only have the USB cable for one machine connected at any one time in case of conflicts.

What happens is that very frequently the printer is half way through printing a page and then stops. The printer icon in the systray gets stuck and even if you purge printing it wont go away. I have to restart the computer and then when the box comes up saying there is a job pending do I want the printer to print it or cancel and I have to press cancel. Sometimes I have to do this several times before I can get the whole page printed.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens (it happens to both of the printers not just one of them)?

Djohn 18:49 10 Nov 03

I wonder if it may be a driver conflict. Have you tried removing the software for one of the printers and just using one printer for a while, then remove that and try the other printer and driver?

Bucko1 10:25 11 Nov 03

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I was wondering if it may be something to do with the usb signal as I have heard that there is a problem with USB streaming on the Via chipset on a socket A motherboard. I have changed the position of my soundcard, so it dosen't share an IRQ with the USB controller IRQ, but it dosen't seem to have made any difference (maybe I am trying to think too technically and it it just the fact that I have the two drivers installed.

Thanks for your help and I'll post again when I've tried your suggestion

pj123 10:43 11 Nov 03

I also had that problem with my Epson USB printers. I rang Epson, they seem to know about it because I was told "Don't switch the printers off at all" or "Switch the printers on first and then switch the computer on". I now do not switch my printers off and I have never had that problem since. Worth a try?

Bucko1 21:08 11 Nov 03

Thanks for your comment PJ123.
If I don't switch the printers off the computer dosen't recognise them when I try to print. I have to turn them off then on again and then they are recognised.

I have removed the 830 drivers and now the 740 is working ok,(I have just printed 7 sheets without incident) so perhaps Djohn was right in his assumption that it is a driver conflict. I will leave it like that for a few days and see what happens and then I'll uninstall the 740 and try it with just the 830 and see what happens then.

If that is the problem it's a head ache for me though as I will only be able to use one printer for everything.
Thanks again for your input

Djohn 21:22 11 Nov 03

If it turns out to be a driver conflict, you could try having the older printer connected via the parallel cable, it may just work that way. J.

Rtus 23:30 11 Nov 03

They both use different status monitors Dont they ? I know the 740 StM2 If I remember correctly , I believe You can turn them off in Msconfig .Printers still function but no ink readouts..Etc .I ran a 740 & c70 & C80 from the same unit just like you using one cable and its STM's were the only problem I had ..

Bucko1 09:26 12 Nov 03

Yes I suppose it could be due to the status monitors. I had wondered that myself at one point and uninstalled Status Monitor 2 for the 740. I hadn't considered removing them both, so I'll give that a try too. Thanks for your advice.

I did originally have one printer connected to the USB and the other to the parallel port, but that caused a conflict with my soundcard -Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1, which installs something called an SB16 Emulator in device manager of Control Panel under the heading of the Creative Miscellaneous Devices. This uses IRQ7 which is the same as set for the parallel port. It was causing my computer to frequently totally freeze. It was then I tried both connected to USB.

Bucko1 18:01 08 Dec 03

Well I ran the 740 alone for a few weeks and never had a problem, so I uninstalled this and reinstalled the 830 and again I have the same fault. It starts printing a few lines and then stops.

I have uninstalled the drivers several time and the last time I only installed the drivers and not the status monitor or any other software - still no good.

I am really at my wits end with this as the 830 is the new printer. If I can only use one - this would be the one of choice.

Any other ideas would be much sppreciated. Thanks

Djohn 02:03 09 Dec 03

Can't think of anything else at the mo. so this will bring you back to the top. Someone may see it and know the answer. j.

Bucko1 19:20 09 Dec 03

Thanks Djohn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…