printer still wont print black

sgtdibble 18:46 28 Aug 03

my nephews printer BJC4200 wont print black it prints colour perfect I have tried the cleaning programs with no success it has a scanner connected through it (paralell) would this affect it although its worked up to now I have tried the Canon website but its no use could I just wash the print head under the tap? any suggestions welcome to save uncle tom buying a new printer

BarryKeith 19:01 28 Aug 03

It's possible that the ink nozzle has become blocked. If the printer has a removeable print head you could try removing the cartridges and sealing them so that they don't dry out, then soak the nozzle in warm water with a little washing-up liquid added. Make sure that you only place the nozzle area in water, as otherwise you may damage the electrics. Give it a good soak, then try flushing through the blocked nozzle, (I use a syringe with a small section of rubber tubing to create a seal.) you should be able to get a fine jet of water through the nozzle. If that does'nt work, it will probably mean a replacement as there's no much else you can do.

seedie 19:02 28 Aug 03

Umm what do you get if you print a fews lines of black text, say from word?

sgtdibble 19:20 28 Aug 03

seedie
--The top half of the word is missing and the rest is lined

toxin 19:39 28 Aug 03

Hi sgtdibble!

Toxin here again, sorry to learn you've still got probs. From your post of 19.20, I think its almost certain it's blocked nozzles,

Is the printhead on the 4200 seperate from the ink cartridge, or is it an integral part?

I suppose you have tried a replacement cartridge!!!

Have you tried boosting the black in the colour management?

Toxin.

Toxin.

greenlamp 20:04 28 Aug 03

the canon 4200 is a replacable print head [same as 4000, 4100 and 4300] and does have a finite life. In the pastI have managed to keep one going by flushing. All I did was to remove the cartridges and just covered the contact area in the print head [ the round silver area] with a little alcohol [IsoPropyl], and then ran the test page several times, removed the excess - the head is removable, dabbed it dry with kitchen towel -repeated the procedure with water and then again with alcohol. Print quality was usually adequate for a while after that. Proprietry cleaning fluids are available also.
Since the new print head comes with a colour and black cartridge the cost of replacement isn't as bad as it seems.

greenlamp 20:22 28 Aug 03

Cost of BC21E [printhead, colour cartridge and black cartrige] is about £29 from mx2.com or 7dayshop.com. since the cartridges themselves are sealed you can still use up any ink you have left in your present cartridges.

sgtdibble 21:14 28 Aug 03

Thanks to all for the suggestions I will try cleaning print head as suggested by toxin and greenlamp and if that fails a new print head seems favourite I will leave the thread open as i
open to other ideas thanks again ---Tom>>>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…