Printer Sleeping?

When I switch my printer on to use it, it works as normal. (Its an Epson Stylus Photo R540).

If I don't use it for a while and then try to print, the Epson Status monitor comes up but with the ink levels greyed out and it just sits there failing to print.

To get it to work I have to switch the printer off and back on again. If I am printing several jobs with only a short delay between each there is not a problem. It is only if the printer is not used for say 5 minutes or longer that this happens.

Any ideas?

Rahere 12:27 27 Nov 08

Have you checked the printer's own settings - is there a sleep or suspend function?

Also check if Windows is switching it off to save power - this can happen to many pieces of hardware

I have already looked at the printer manual and it does go into sleep mode after 10 minutes. It is supposed to wake again as soon as it is back in use.

Pushing any button seems to bring it back to life, it just doesn't want to talk to the pc.

Rahere 14:40 27 Nov 08

Can you just turn of the sleep function as a quick fix?

I just tried to google your printer, couldn't find it on the Epson site too is this the right product name?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced