Printer sharing on wireless network with BT router

SimpleSimon07 13:54 13 May 07

I would like to set up wireless printer sharing through a BT 2 Wire Gateway router. Do I need some sort of network printer router? Exactly what do I need to do to the computers on the wireless network? I have one desktop connected by LAN cable to the BT router/hub. If the printer is connected to this desktop can all other computers access this? I appreciate printer driver needs to be installed on each computer. What other settings are needed?

Strawballs 16:19 13 May 07

You can get a print server to connect to your router so that any machine can use it without any of the others being switched on or you can leave it connected to the desktop and the others can use it s long as that machine is switched on,

Are you just using your router for internet on ll of the machines or do you have a network setup so the machines can see each other?

SimpleSimon07 09:02 14 May 07

I would like to set up the network so that all computers can see eachother, and also use any of the printers. It sounds as though I need to get a print server and then connect this to the router. What do I have to do in Windows XP to allow all pcs to see eachother? Only one is connected by cable to the router, all others wirelessly.

TonyM 10:16 14 May 07

To enable your machines to "see" each other - you need to put them into the same workgroup. Various ways of doing it, easiest is to go into the control panel and run the Network Setup Wizard on each machine. You also need to set any folders you want to access on the machines as "Shared".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5