Printer Sharing - Well Networking full stop

mad_willsy 17:28 27 Apr 06

I have run the network setup wizard on both my friends xp home laptop and pc. Niether can see each other in workgroup NETOWRK (which they are both a member of)

The router he uses is Linksys WAG3546. The laptop connect through wireless G to the router. The pc is wired. They share internet connecion fine, but when i ran network setup wizard they cannot see each other.

I had this problem on my own wired XP PROFESIONAL pcs and a simple disabled to enabled sorted it. How do I do this on home edition?

BIGBUSTER 22:14 27 Apr 06

mad-willsy I had same problem but still not solved it some guys on here suggested things but to no avail. My laptop and desktop connected similar to youself but keeps coming up with access denied see administrator and no network found yet internet ok and both in same workgroup. Both using win xp. I expected this to have been relatively simple but everybody seems to have major hiccups.

mgmcc 08:32 28 Apr 06

Things to try:

- make sure both computers are in the same Workgroup and, if using the default name, change it to a name of your own.

- ensure that at least one folder in each PC is "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option.

- check that any firewall software is correctly configured to allow access to the networked computers. Try to 'ping' each PC from the other.

- open the Network Connections folder, right click the network adapter (Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection as appropriate) and select Properties. Highlight "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the General tab of the box that opens, click the Advanced button and, in the next box, select the WINS tab and select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

- try enabling the Guest account in each PC.

- try disabling any Login password in each PC (unless logging into both PCs with an identical Username & Password.

An alternative approach:

Something which might help to get the two talking is to use "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". This doesn't need configuring with IP addresses and so on like TCP/IP and isn't affected by firewalls. However, for internet access, TCP/IP is still required.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…