Printer sharing solutions

tobyb121 14:31 01 Jun 07

I am trying to share a printer on my home network. I know that it can be shared through another computer, but was wondering if I can connect it directly to my wireless router. It doesn't have any ethernet ports on it, just a usb. I don't want to buy a wireless printer server as this then means that something else is plugged in and using power all the time. So does anyone know of any solutions that I could use, the printer in question is a canon i470d and my router is a linksys wag54gs.

fitshase 16:40 01 Jun 07

Not possible I'm afraid. You would need a print server to do what you want.

There are some wireless routers about with a USB print server built in but you will pay a premium.

fitshase 16:43 01 Jun 07

Example router with print server:-

click here

FreeCell 17:23 01 Jun 07

GIven you would have to add replace something in your current set-up , another approach would be to replace your printer with a network ready printer.

Need not be too expensive click here

silliw 19:01 09 Jun 07

When you say it does not have any ethernet ports on it, just USB are you refering to your printer or your wireless router? I have a wired print server that accepts the usb connection from my printer and has an ethernet port to connect to one of 4 avalable ethernet sockets on the back of the wireless router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced