Printer sharing samsung ML-1210

Emporio 12:07 17 Dec 05

I would like to share my samsung ML-1210 printer. I would like to be able to print from both of my laptops. Being a telewest customer I have bought the 2 BELKIN F5D7011UK HIGH-SPEED MODE WIRELESS G NOTEBOOK NETWORK CARD and a router which is BELKIN F5D7231UK4 125MBPS HIGH-SPEED WIRELESS G CABLE/DSL ROUTER.

I assume now that I have a router/notebooks cards I will be able to print from any of my laptops. Is it feasible with the samsung ML 1210? Currently the printer is connected to the client laptop and not the main. Do I need to connect it to the main? If so would I need to purchase anything else i.e. cables etc if so which type, to enable wireless printing from both laptops?

driving man 12:50 17 Dec 05

Have the same printer and it does work. My PC Mate dragged it into a shared folder on the main PC (along with other printers and fax machine) Then made the folder a shared one. Have to Lower firewall settings on both machines for it to work. Have a thread going in "Absolute Beginners" As am trying to put the printers into trusted zones in the firewall rather than have low firewall settings.
If you know how to do this please send an answer in Abs. Beginners

mgmcc 12:55 17 Dec 05

<<< I assume now that I have a router/notebooks cards I will be able to print from any of my laptops. >>>

Yes.

<<< Is it feasible with the samsung ML 1210? >>>

Yes.

<<< Currently the printer is connected to the client laptop and not the main. Do I need to connect it to the main? >>>

When computers are networked via a router, they all have an equal status in the network - there is no Main, Host or Client computer.

Obviously you connect the printer to a particular PC so, for *printing* purposes you have a 'Host' and 'Client", but that is simply determined by which computer the printer is physically connected to and it doesn't matter which.

My standard "blurb" for setting up a Network Printer:

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

h t t p : / /
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

Incidentally, I do have a Samsung ML1210 shared in my network :-)

mgmcc 13:04 17 Dec 05

<<< As am trying to put the printers into trusted zones in the firewall rather than have low firewall settings.
If you know how to do this please send an answer in Abs. Beginners >>>

Have done. It is the IP addresses of the networked computers, not the printers, which go into the Trusted Zone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…