Printer sharing problem

jaimie 15:12 12 Jun 07

I have a network with 5 PC's, I have a new Samsung laser printer connected to one machine by USB and have this printer shared to 4 of these PC's all running XP SP2 except one which is running Vista home premium. All of these machines can print to the Samsung. My problem is that the fifth PC running XP SP2 will not allow me to access the shared printer. When adding a printer the shared printer is not detected like it is on all the other machines. My network places brings up various shared folders on the other machines but no printer, anyone have an idea why this might be please. I know for certain that this PC is connected to the network.

Jaimie

Taff™ 09:18 13 Jun 07

I assume you have File and Printer sharing enabled but are the XP Machines Home or Professional edition. There is a theoretical limit on inbound connections of 5 for Home Edition and 10 for Professional. click here for an explanation from Microsoft. I wonder if the Vista machine is complicating the matter.

jaimie 11:49 13 Jun 07

Hi Taff, just out of interest I added this printer to my lap-top M/C and it worked like a charm, I was able to browse for the printer on the other machine, install the driver from it and print within a couple of minutes. It's just a mystery why this other machine will not even browse for the printer.

Kind regards

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant