Printer Sharing

Legslip 12:59 01 May 09

I have an HP Officejet 6210 installed on my dsektop PC with XP. I connect wirelesley to the net via a Netgear wireless router. I also have a laptop that does the same with Vista installed. I cant crack sharing the printer onto my laptop. Anyone help?

Stuartli 13:28 01 May 09

From your printer's Properties>Sharing tab, try Enabling Share This Printer.

Legslip 13:43 01 May 09

Stuartli. Done that. Fink it's something I need to do on the Vista laptop.

Marko797 14:27 01 May 09

on Vista, u need to maybe physically connect laptop to it first, then ensure printer drivers are installed. I had to do it this way for the wife's vista laptop.

Plus somewhere along the line (it was a long drawn out & complex affair btw) I had to look at the ports on the laptop, to ensure that the laptop connected via the network printer.

If ur still struggling, I'll see if I can dig out the excellent post by mgmcc on this in the Network Forum, which cured my problem.

Marko797 14:33 01 May 09

Not sure exactly where u are in the network process, but this post solved the shared printer in Vista problem for me:

Windows Vista - Network Printer Setup
1) Connect the printer to the Vista "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". Make a note of both the host PC's "Computer Name" and the printer's "Share Name".

3) In the Vista "client" PC, launch the "Add a Printer" wizard and select the "Add a local printer" option. This automatically opens a new dialog box in which to select the Port.

4) Click the "Create a new port" radio button and leave the drop-down menu options on the default of "Local Port". Click Next.

5) A small box opens in which to enter the Port Name. Type in the path to the "shared" printer in the host PC using the format \\computername\sharename where computername and sharename are the details you noted in (2) above.

6) Select the Printer driver from the list provided, which should include the driver you originally installed, otherwise use the "Have Disk" button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the list. It is essential that a Vista-compatible driver for your printer is used. Click Next.

7) Give the printer a name and choose whether to set it as the default. Click Next.

Print a test page to verify functionality and then click Finish.

Stuartli 15:49 01 May 09

Also see:

click here

Stuartli 15:50 01 May 09

XP version:

click here

Legslip 09:31 02 May 09

Thanks people. I have done what Mark07 advises and at the end of step 5 I get a window come up that states 'The network path was not found'. I am truly stumped!!

Marko797 10:05 02 May 09

it looks like laptop cannot see desktop, hence path cannot be found. Or, you are typing in an incorrect path at stage 5. Go bk and check all info is correct, including the number of back-slashes.

Like I said previously, I'm not sure where u are with the network set-up process, so one other point to consider: Have u actually set up a network, both of which need to have the same workgroup name (MSHOME for example), using the network wizard?

This needs to be done from the desktop, save to pen drive, then run on the laptop. If this hasn't been done, then no network will exist, although it is possible to connect to the internet, which is a separate thing altogether from desktop-to-laptop network. Apols however if u know all this & have already done it.

Marko797 10:09 02 May 09

to teach u how to suck eggs, but, is the desktop switched on? You won't be able to print or find the path without the desktop being switched on.

Woolwell 11:10 02 May 09

See if it works with firewall switched off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac