Printer Sharing

Colonelkaye 20:56 05 Feb 05

Hi,
I have wirelessly connected 3 PC's fine. I have a laser printer attached to the main PC downstairs which I wish the kids PC's upstairs to be able to use.
Both PC's can see the printer via the set up new printer option but when a test page is sent it says the printer is not connected.
I have checked file and printer sharing, disabled Zone Alarm, put the IP addresses in my firewall and checked that security centre on SP2 is okay.
What else should I do to get the damn thing to work? Am considering buying a wireless print server but should I have to?

goonerbill © ® 01:59 06 Feb 05

^bump^

Jeffers22 07:15 06 Feb 05

I have had a couple of printers (a Panasonic laser and an HP inkjet) that were very fussy about the precise order and method of driver installation on the client PCs. I can only suggest uninstalling the printer on the client and reinstalling following the method in the manual for a networked printer to the letter. What make and model is the printer? Try the support section of the manufacturer's website. Are you certain that it supports networking?

mgmcc 08:07 06 Feb 05

Is the "network printer" set as default, or are you trying to print with an installed "local" printer that's not physically connected to the PC?

If the printer on the remote PC is shown in My Network Places (or Network Neighborhood), double clicking it should automatically install it as a "network printer". You should, however, already have installed the printer locally, as though it were to be used with that PC, so that the necessary software/drivers are already on board.

bananaslik 10:22 06 Feb 05

Just a quicky folks,i have setup a home network (3pc's)with a belkin router.The router comes with it's owm firewall which i have been to the site & configured it & also to make sure it is enabled.I would like to know if i need to keep the firewall (zonealarm)running on my pc's or can i just get rid of it.
many thanks.

Colonelkaye 11:21 06 Feb 05

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I have this morning checked the printer website (Epson c900) to see if it is network compatable and it comes with an optional network card?
It was my understanding that as long as the main pc is switched on - all other pc's in the network could access the printer through the wireless router? This local and network thing is confusing - can someone explain it in lamens terms?

SANTOS7 11:25 06 Feb 05

click here
might help,good luck.........

ajm 12:00 06 Feb 05

make sure you check that your printer is compatible. Not all wireless printer servers are compatible with most printers.

Epson C900 is compatible with the belkin wireless print server

click here#

Ensure that bi-directional is unticked from the ports tab in printer properties. Uncheck all monitoring preferences in in the advanced section of the printer properties

FelixTCat 13:14 06 Feb 05

Have you specifically set the printer to share? Simply setting up prnter and fil4e sharing enables printer sharing but does not of itself share anything. Go to Control Panel - Printers and Faxes and right-click the printer you want to share. Click on Sharing... and away you go.

Colonelkaye 14:11 25 Feb 05

Have checked Felix's suggestion.

Right clicked on Printer, chose sharing.
Printer then checked it's own status and options appeared. Sharing is enabled and the port is the USB port.

When PC's upstairs (which can see the PC with the printer attached) search via the network printers the printer does not show.

What the heck should I look for now or is the Epson C900 not networkable?

FelixTCat 14:53 25 Feb 05

basic printer is networkable - just did it myself.

Go to My Network Places - Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network - [Workgroup Name] - [Computer Name]. It shows up here immediately, but can take some time to appear in My Network Places.

Be careful how you name the network share unless all the computers are on XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…