Printer & scanner connect wirelessly How

What do i need to get the above to connect wireless i have seen print servers but don't know if correct i also thought u could use USB wireless any ideas

Thanks in advance

ajm 21:10 04 Mar 05

use a wireless print server, but these only work only with some models to print. No idea about wireless scanning, though.

However, the new HP 2710 has a wireless feature which can allow you to print and scan wirelessly.
Recently a friend bought the above and i helped him set it. It was breeze to set up and the print quality was superb. also I tested the scanning by putting a photo on the scanner and pressed the scan button on the scanner. The scanner software activated on the laptop that was in the other room. PC World sells thses for £299

FelixTCat 22:58 04 Mar 05

You don't give much detail of what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to share these over a number of computers, the easiest way is to connect them to a computer, network that computer and then share those devices over the network. The only restriction is that the computer connected to the devices must be on the net for sharing to work.

I will be connecting them to 2 PC's and one laptop wot i should have also said is would it be best to have them connected 1 each to the PC's then have them shared so that any system can request its usage

FelixTCat 10:20 05 Mar 05

That will work fine. You will have to have all the pcs on all the time for that to work.

You don't say if you have a wireless router, or if you want to share an internet connection. If you can give us a bit more information about your set-up, we can give further advice.

bought top range alienware for gaming also bought following Linksys WRT54GSUK 125 Mbps Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster i gather this router i can use for cable as well as i wish to connect it direct to gamming machince for better broadband connection also bought this for PS2 Linksys Wireless-g Game Adapter - 54mbps 802.11g i am just waiting for all to be deliverd this will be to format roughly
Alienware PC + Scaner wired to router
PC + Printer wirless to router with laptop also wireless then the PS2 with the game adapter to router does the router have to be conected to a machine or just to broadband

Again router wireless sorry

FelixTCat 11:31 05 Mar 05

Lots of people seem to have trouble setting up wireless connections. The first advice is read the manuals - they are usually reasonably clear.

The second advice is to set things up simply first. Set up the pc connected by ethernet cable first and make sure that it is working. Then move on to wireless.

On wireless, first make sure that you have internet connection, then go on to file, printer, scanner sharing etc.

Finally, set up your wireless security - set WEP and MAC filtering and disable SSID broadcast. At each stage check that everything works before moving on.

Firewalls are often the cause of problems. At each stage, make sure that your firewalls are not blocking the traffic that you are trying out. Often it is valuable to disable the firewalls until you are satisfied with the connections. Remember that the router gives you a fair degree of protection whilst you are doing this, as long as your anti-virus protection is maintained. Then re-instate firewall protection as soon as possible.

Felix wot would you suggest for a good reliable easy to use / setup fire wall

FelixTCat 13:53 05 Mar 05

I use Norton Internet Security. I know that there are free firewalls and anti-virus available, but I don't think that there is such a thing as a free lunch. Norton is good, reliable and updated daily automatically. I have also found that it doesn't interfere with other programs and it is easy to set up and modify the firewall.

Prepare for flames from other viewers!

ok will leave this unresolved till i now everything is working right cheers so far felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5