Printer Queries

john-m 14:51 31 Jul 07

Two printer queries:

(a) My printer offers paper settings from "light, 16 lb" to "heavy, 28 lb". The paper I use (A4, A5 etc) uses "grams per square metre" for weights of paper, eg "64 gsm". Which equals what?

(b) How does one set margin widths for printing out a received Outlook Express message? (Windows XP, Okipage 14ex). My quarter-inch margins don't leave enough room for ring-binding or for marginal notes.

Paulius55 15:31 31 Jul 07

16lb is about 60gsm and 28lb is about 105gsm.
To shift the Outlook Express image to the right, use CTRL-P to bring up the printer dialogue, then in preferences set the margin, or shift the image using the printer driver.

john-m 21:30 31 Jul 07

Thank you Paulius55, that answers the paper thickness/ weight question.

I still can't manage to tinker with margin width. (Printer) Preferences > Advanced leads to options for paper size, dpi, halftoning etc, but not margins (Okipage 14ex; and stand-alone computer ie not net-worked).

I have found a work-around, though, by setting paper size to Executive, then printing on my usual A4. This increases the margin to about 0.8" (20mm), although it wastes around 1.2" (30mm) at the bottom of the page. That'll have do me for the time being.

Woolwell 23:37 31 Jul 07

I think that Outlook Express uses the margins set in Internet Explorer. Open IE - and under Print click on page set up and adjust your margins.

john-m 10:37 01 Aug 07

Got it! Internet Explorer: File > Page Setup ...Margins. Which is almost what you said, Woolwell (it might vary slightly from version to version). With thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009