Printer probs. USB cable 3mtrs

GBL 22:24 03 Sep 04

I have an HP printer which unfortunately due to my laypout needs a USB cable of 3 meters in length, HP suggest 2 mtrs max.
I do experience some slight problems with it which I presume may be down to the cable length.

Can I get round this by installing a USB hub which I might manage to get nearer to the printer and revert to a 2mts cable??

spuds 22:48 03 Sep 04

HP have recommended a 2 mtr cable through their product developement, but I have found 'that little bit more'doesn't make alot of difference.Unless you are using a poor or faulty cable, which is usually a very rare occurance. Fitting an hub may make a little difference, so why not experiment.

You say that you are having slight problems, what are they!.

Diodorus Siculus 22:49 03 Sep 04

Not sure... a powered hub might well do the job for you....

GBL 22:57 03 Sep 04

It doesn't always print, even though it will switch on.

I also have a canon printer attached which will print the required document, but stress that the default is the HP printer.

It is a cheap cable from Asda as i couldn't find a longer one elsewhere at the time.

spuds 12:39 04 Sep 04

The cable from Asda should not be a problem. Using a self powered hub can improve some add-ons like scanners etc, but this usually depends on the product and your usb supply. I find that a question to the manufacturers support usually comes up with a definate answer.

What I would suggest is that you do a 'clean' re-install of the printer drivers etc, and see if that solves and improves the situation.

GBL 13:11 04 Sep 04

thanks will give your replies a go and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now