printer probs

2CV6 10:52 16 Nov 03

Hi All, i'm running w98se, 64ram and now have a severe printer problem. It's an epson 480 color stylus model and just stopped working. The scanner power plug came out and when I tried to print an email the printer wouldn't function. Scanner reconnected but to no avail. The printer powers up ok when refitting the power plug and it shut off with its usual shutdown noise when I switch the computer off. All cables are intact and checked, ink levels ok. The error thrown up says "unknown error", disconnect and contact vendor or service agent. There was a virus in the computer as my Bitdefender Pro v7 wasn't working, but I've got rid of the virus now. Any ideas, is there a reset somewhere or a service programme. Thanks 2cv6.

Diodorus Siculus 14:56 16 Nov 03

Have you tried to reinstall the drivers for the printer?

What sort of connection is is? USB or parallel? I ask this as sometimes if a parallel connection comes out during use, it can kill the port as far as data goes - the machine can power up the printer and seem to recognise it, but it will not print to it.

DieSse 15:08 16 Nov 03

If this is a scanner and printer on the same parallel port - first thing to do is try the printer on it's own, without the scanner connected at all.

Diemmess 15:48 16 Nov 03

IF..... there is a self test feature for this printer (mentioned in the handbook)..... There used to be with earlier Epson printers, this is a good time to try it.

Obviously if it will print a test page when not even connected to a live computer, it will prove the problem is at the computer.

2CV6 18:52 16 Nov 03

Thanks for your comments.
It is a parallel connection and all is ok I think there.The port is correct as by the instructions. All was deleted and re-installed.
The scanner is out and the printer is plugged into the computer.
There is no self test as far as I can see.You can print a test page but it won't.
There is soft ware available on the net to either service or reset these printers but don't know where it is or what it's called. Can you help.2cv6.

wee eddie 19:00 16 Nov 03
  2CV6 16:38 17 Nov 03

Hi, I've got the printer software disc and have installed ok. The error message is still ther as an unknown error. I now need to go into some kind of repair or service mode with software. Does anyone know how to access this software for the 480 printer? I think the repair people just use this software to fix or reset the printer.

wee eddie 18:23 17 Nov 03

Un-install all previous printer references, before you do the reinstall

woodchip 18:31 17 Nov 03

Your best bet is to remove the Printer from Add Remove then follow the instructions bellow to remove the rest you can then reinstall as normal.

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box Epson click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with Epson in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Epson and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Epson then reboot your computer

polymath 19:57 17 Nov 03

Are you sure the parallel cable's connected properly? I had the same problem, & mine turned out not to be seated properly. The connection at the printer's easy, but I had to brace the computer against something to push in in really firmly to the computer, & keep pushing while doing up the screws.
I hadn't realised, as the parallel cable into my previous (v. old) computer didn't need much force.

2CV6 11:19 18 Nov 03

Thank you all for your responses. I will do as woodchip says and delete all and start again.
I now have the repair and service manuals from click here This shows how to dismantle and reset the printer. I think we have a faul with the ink pad being full and the counter needs re-setting. Thanks 2cv6.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…