Printer problem with HP driver

xania 10:19 14 Mar 11

My Windows 7 PC has access to 2 different HP F380 desktop printers which I share with another user on a Windows XP PC (for operational reasons). both machines look and feel the same but it is interesting to note that the power supplies to each are NOT interchangeable implying some differences.

On my PC, the printer 1 was installed and worked perfectly. We did use the correct Wondows 7 driver which we downloaded from the HP web-site.

When it came to installing printer 2, this insisted on reloading its own drivers so I have 2 versions of the printer in the printers list and each printer is shown as on-line only with the correct printer.

Now comes the rub. Both printers operate perfectly well with any MS Office product, but the main software I use is an off-the shelf product from AlphaLaw and any printout that is generated from this product appears to go through the printer stream but printer 2 simply refuses to print it (printer 1 has no problem with Alpha Law out-put).

Any ideas or thoughth about why this may happen?

961 12:09 14 Mar 11

The guess is that printer 2 reloaded a set of drivers which don't do the business for AlphaLaw

If you go via control panel into device driver can you see if your printer/imagine device shows any problems?

I can say that my own HP printer scanner has two sets of installations showing in the device manager. One is showing as "disabled" and one as Working properly. Why? I have no idea, but I sure ain't going to mess because the thing works perfectly

I am aware that Windows 7 comes with a generic set of printer drivers that work with HP printers and that W7 will install these if it discovers an HP printer while installing. It's completely different to the HP drivers which are huge but do generally work all the stuff that the printer will do

Perhaps it's worth trying the "update driver" box pointing to the cd containing the new driver and see if you can get the printer to accept it

xania 13:32 14 Mar 11

Thanks for this - there are no problems indocated in device manager so I suspect that, when I introduced printer 2 the PC simply cocked up by using the installed files rather than re-running the installation program again.

If no-one else comes up with any other ideas before tomorrow, I think I'll remove both the installations, reboot and start again.

xania 14:34 14 Mar 11

Now found out that, although printer 2 in perfectly happy with Word, it will not print from Excel!!

SparkyJack 14:38 14 Mar 11

......'both machines look and feel the same but it is interesting to note that the power supplies to each are NOT interchangeable implying some differences.'
I assume you refer to the printers.
If so that would assume the one that works is a more recent model and its firmware has been updated[Firmware- circuits buiultinto thre printer- not a driver]
It might bew a good idea to trawl the HP sire to see if this the case.
A goood website to looknito this is
click here
However last suggestion may be the best with the proviso the you install only the latest[printer 2] software and see if printer 1[the earlier?] runs with it.

xania 09:45 15 Mar 11

Thanks but nothign knwon about my printers and all the comments relate to other types of problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5