printer printing rubbish

charlieh34 17:29 28 Feb 03

my hp printer 990c has the correct driver installed but every now and again it will print a load of rubbish such as heart shapes and spades and all sorts of weird syntax I have to rebootthe PC and then it goes back to normal any ideas whatcould be causing this Im running 95.
thanks all.

« Ravin » 17:37 28 Feb 03

i had this problem last time and it turned out to be a loose connection. have a look and see if all the cables are plugged in securely.

Bacon & Eggs 17:38 28 Feb 03

How old is the 990C? Because if it's a new or newish model the drivers may not be strictly designed for 95. May be worth a trip to the HP website to see if there are any new drivers about anyway...

macca57 17:21 01 Mar 03

I had an epson 400 which every so often would print pages and pages of rubbish. So i rang tech support at epson who said its doing a self test and to keep feeding in paper. So i did this and after so long it stopped and worked perfectly well afterwards. Don`t know if this is any help

interzone55 17:34 01 Mar 03

That explanation sounds a little dubious. Surely if it was doing a self test it would print something along those lines at the top of the sheet, and it wouldn't go through so much paper that you would have to keep feeding it paper, that's rather wasteful.
Usual explanation for a print outputting garbage is a loose or damage parallel cable, seeing as they're pretty cheap I'd buy a new one just in case, and pop along to

click here

to download the latest driver (01/03/2002).

Piggy,Piggy 17:34 01 Mar 03

I have an HP 610 and that happens to me sometimes, if you don't mind wasting ink and paper just let it run, if not switch off the printer switch it back on again and reboot your system if neccessary, i haven;'t found any other remedies myself.

DieSse 18:14 01 Mar 03

The usual cause is that the printer has been switched on after you have started to try and print to it.

The reason is, that the printer in Windows prints in graphics mode all the time - if a print command is sent to it, the first thing that happens is that the priter is switched into graphics mode - if it misses this, because it's turned off, then it prints in text mode. Text mode interprets the data in it's buffer as best it can - but of course, as far as text is concerned, it's rubbish - hence the strange characters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…