Printer is playing up

Sturmey 14:30 21 Oct 03

I have an HP deskjet 930c printer it worked fine, I moved house and setup my PC and when I try and print from notepad I get an error message "Error aborting printing" in worppad when I click print nothing happens.

I followed the windows xp troubleshooter and was able to print from the command prompt only, I cannot print from any other applications, or print a test page.

My printer is installed and set as default I have updated the drivers, not sure what to do now.

I set the printer up on my laptop and it works.

SPEC:
Windows XP pro
AMD Athlon 1300
512mb ram
120GB HD
ABIT KG-7 mobo
GeForce 4ti 4200

Djohn 14:47 21 Oct 03

If you are using the USB connection for this printer. then try removing the software driver and the hardware for the printer itself from Control panel/add/remove programs.

Disconnect the printer from your PC and install the software first, only connect the printer when requested to do so from the on-screen message. If you do not see any message to connect your printer, then let the install of software drivers continue and on completion, reboot your PC.

Then connect the printer USB cable and turn on the printer. Windows will say "New hardware found" and finish the install for you. Should work OK now, if not, then please post back and someone will offer further advice. Regards. j.

Jester2K II 14:52 21 Oct 03

Just wondering if the printer is plugged into a USB card or ports directly on the motherboard?

Maybe the card worked loose when in transit?

Sturmey 15:06 21 Oct 03

Sorry should have said printer is plugged into Parallel port, it has a USB connection also, I tried both but still get error messages when printing.

Djohn still the same thanks anyway, I downloaded the latest drivers & my printer is listed in "Printers & faxes"

Djohn 15:38 21 Oct 03

Sounds as though it may be a problem from within windows XP then as your printer will work from the laptop but not your desktop, even after checking the above options. Maybe a repair option from the XP CD will find the missing file/instruction and cure this for you.

Not too sure on the next step, so will hand you over to someone with more knowledge in this area. Regards. j.

Ceemar 15:45 21 Oct 03

Have you tried uninstalling the software that came with it, & then reinstalling from scratch? If not give that a try and also make sure that it's removed from Control Panel/Printers

Sturmey 16:14 21 Oct 03

How do I use repair option from the xp cd?

Djohn 16:19 21 Oct 03

Not had to use it myself, so although I think I know the correct steps, I would rather leave it to someone who is sure of the exact procedure, choosing the wrong option will overwrite your present install.

Meanwhile I will have a search for you. j.

Djohn 16:24 21 Oct 03

click here and follow the first link from Lozzy. This will take you to a very good site with instructions and pictures as well.

Have a read and if I can help further, please post back. j.

Sturmey 11:26 22 Oct 03

Thanks for your help did a repair from the XP CD and printer works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…