printer not working when connected to broadband

Percy RN 23:25 28 Oct 05

I recently installed virgin.net broadband using a speedtouch modem. Although it connects to the internet whenever I try and print an error message comes up and I am unable to print. this also causes the internet to freeze.

VoG II 23:28 28 Oct 05

What is the error message?

Percy RN 23:41 28 Oct 05

the error message says that the printer must be connected to the computer,however it is and works when the internet broadband is not on.

Stuartli 00:17 29 Oct 05

Is it a USB printer?

It could be that the modem's requirement is affecting the power supply to the printer if that is also a USB model.

jack 08:03 29 Oct 05

This is almost certainly a USB conflict
Are the two devices connected via a hub by any chance?

The reason I ask is that I am experiencing the same sort of problem.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A30-514 with a powered USB 2.0 hub attached. Into this is plugged a USB satellite receiver (for broadband), a USB bluetooth adapter and an HP PSC 1350 printer. The first two devices work fine but the printer isn't recognised properly.

If I plug the printer straight into the USB socket of the laptop it works fine. These 3 devices have to go through hub(s). Would running another powered hub off of the first hub cure the problem?

In the device manager, instead of showing all the HP devices it just has USB Composite Device in the USB Controllers section. This has an orange exclamation mark next to it.

If I boot up the laptop with all 3 devices plugged into the hub and switched on, the printer is detected okay but the Bluetooth Radio devices have an orange exclamation mark instead. I need the bluetooth device to attach a mobile phone to the laptop.

From left to right, looking at the front of the hub, the devices are 1) satellite receiver, 2) printer, 3) Bluetooth.

I hope this is clear. Any help / advice would be greatfully received.

jack 20:11 30 Dec 05

The only remedy is to connect the printer to another
PORT - I emphasize this because a hub is not another
port it is merely a 'junction box' to one line.
You choose, either the modem or the printer must have its own dedicated port.

Short of Ports?
Then obtain a USB2 PCI card [ if you have a spare PCI slot] this will give you 4/5 extra new ports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…