Printer no usb ports

holligan 15:06 05 Jan 04

I have no usb ports, what do i need to connect to a printer and can i use any b/w printer. windows 98.and a old comp 10 yrs mabye more, make Akhter

cheers

PA28 15:10 05 Jan 04

Parallel cable from your computer to a printer which must be equipped with a parallel port (all old ones had these). If buying secondhand try to get driver software with the printer - alternatively you may have to emulate a mode using Windows drivers.

Alternatively you could get a USB PCI card to give you two or four usb ports.

PA28 19:30 05 Jan 04

Yes, provided that the computer has PCI slots. I can't recall how far back PCI went, but I do recall VESA in the not too distant past!

wee eddie 22:03 05 Jan 04

I am running it off a parallel port

several printers support both standards

Sheila-214876 22:13 05 Jan 04

10 years or more? probably only has ISA slots and no PCI slots. I think you would need to be looking for a secondhand printer with parallel port connections, although having said that some Epson printers have both parallel and USB for example the Epson 880 which is a good printer. I have one. But you need to look for something like the Epson 440, 460, 640, or 670 all of which are now discontinued models. Try ebay at click here

woodchip 22:17 05 Jan 04

It may have PCI at that age have a look in side to see if there is a free White slot then as above you can get a USB card to fit the PCI for about £14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…