Printer keeps making the PC reboot

Doire_Bhoy 11:28 05 Oct 05

Fried of mine wants me to look at his pc on saturday. Whenever he boots up his PC it runs fine. Hoever when the printer is turned on, the PC reboots.
He is running XP.

Im thinking it could be a virus, IRQ conflict, bad printer cable or the printer drivers.

Ive never come across this before.

Any ideas? Cheers

Doire_Bhoy 11:46 05 Oct 05

Need some help here guys

nelie 11:50 05 Oct 05

uninstall printer and test performance then virus scan. or scan in safe boot. good luck

Doire_Bhoy 11:55 05 Oct 05

Test performance? You mean of the computer? It works fine with the printer turned off.

woodchip 11:59 05 Oct 05

In the run box type MSCONFIG, then under setup tab look for printer software that start's at boot Remove the tick's for the Printer and reboot computer

Doire_Bhoy 12:01 05 Oct 05

Will this be the cause of it? As i have said, i have never come across this problem before.

Cheers woodchip

nelie 12:04 05 Oct 05

maybe the printer is conflicting with something else. stop it in msconfig then look.

i suspect its a virus though

Doire_Bhoy 12:04 05 Oct 05

Woodchip. one last thing...if i do this will my friend still be able to use the printer?

nelie 12:06 05 Oct 05

yes it just means the software doesnt start when you boot up - but it will start when you use the printer.

Doire_Bhoy 12:07 05 Oct 05

Ok i'll give it a go.My friend lives 30 miles away from me and i dont want to spend my all day saturday in his house!

Cheers nelie and woodchip!

woodchip 12:12 05 Oct 05

Whatever happens Please let us know how you get on, do not tick the box and leave us thinking what did it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…