Printer installation in XP Pro vanished!

Geldon 03:27 27 Jun 03

Can anyone help with this weird prob? I'm running XP Pro and until this problem, had an Epson Stylus Colour 760 printer installed OK. Recently, I downloaded a 30 day trial of Iolo's System Mechanic to check it out. Before installing it, made a manual System Restore point so could roll back if there were any probs. Ran System Mechanic and there werent any immediate probs but it wasnt until a few days later when I went to use the printer that I noticed the installation had vanished! The folder for the installation was still there but there were no printers listed in the Printers and Faxes part of Control Panel. I plugged in the USB printer cable and got the 'bong-bing' connection sound but nothing else - no 'Found new hardware' wizard or anything. Went to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, clicked on Add a printer and that is where I got the following error message: 'Operation could not be completed'. No probs I thought, I'll roll back XP to before the installation of System Mechanic. Did that, plugged in the printer again, 'bong-bing' but nothing again and still no 'New hardware found' wizard. Tried a manual installation, got the same error message again. Also, there unfortunately doesnt seem to be a roll back facility in System Mechanic either. Apart from that everything else is OK - other USB devices work OK and so on. Anyone any ideas cos I'm absolutely stumped?

ardvarc 07:42 27 Jun 03

After I had problems installing 760 when I converted to XP Home last year I had to download XP drivers and software from Epsom support for my 760. I cleared out all references to Epsom first.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now