PRINTER - installation fault

novis 17:13 03 Mar 11

I use an HP Laserjet 6L - however, when re-installing it because of problems it installed to 'UBS002' port [virtual port for USB] instead of one of the usual printer ports. It pauses after printing each page. I have tried to allocate the appropriate port by putting a tick in the box but this doesn't resolve the problem.

Suggestions please.

novis 17:26 03 Mar 11

UPDATE:

WHEN RE-INSTALLING THE PRINTER WITH A RESTART THE FOLLOWING ERROR MESSAGE APPEARS:

WINDOWS CANNOT CANNOT TO THE SYSTEM EVENT NOTIFICATION SERVICE SERVICE. AS ADMINISTRATOR YOU COULD REVIEW THE SYSTEM EVENT LOG FOR WHY THE SERVICE COULD NOT RESPOND.

How?

What do I do then?

961 17:55 03 Mar 11

What I suggest you try is to uninstall the printer (hardware)via device manager/control panel-printers and all it's software, ensuring that any files relating to HP are deleted

Run CCleaner to ensure all registry entries are deleted

Download latest drivers from HP site together with install instructions. Run install using instructions

It's often vital not to connect the printer to the computer until told to do so by the installation programme otherwise the thing doesn't install properly

novis 17:53 04 Mar 11

I'll give it a try. I have installed this printed frequently in the past without any problems.

Thanks.

gengiscant 09:04 05 Mar 11

I recently bought a HP printer after years of using Epson. I can say that the HP has been problematic from day one, I have had it replaced once because a part of the print head fell out. I still have problems but I find I get the least problems if I install nothing but the driver. The driver disk comes with far to much crap which all seems to want to load at startup. Prints well though but will certainly not be getting another HP printer.
Customer service was little help either.

novis 11:22 05 Mar 11

This printer has worked without problems. However, Vista automatically installs the driver. The problem now is the port which it is assigning to the printer. Previously it assigned the correct port.

This is why I I believe the error message is important to resolving the problem.

WINDOWS CANNOT CONNECT TO THE SYSTEM EVENT NOTIFICATION SERVICE SERVICE. AS ADMINISTRATOR YOU COULD REVIEW THE SYSTEM EVENT LOG FOR WHY THE SERVICE COULD NOT RESPOND.

How?

What do I do then

novis 11:33 05 Mar 11

I have found a solution online to connect to the system event notification service - but this has not resolved the problem of the printer connecting to the wrong port.

961 11:46 05 Mar 11

The event viewer may enable you to establish what has happened but it may not go on to explain why

You can access it as shown in click here

I wonder if the problem arises when Vista automatically installs the driver and decides to install the printer using the wrong port, or at least a port you do not wish to use

You mention "one of the usual printer ports" but don't say what these are. Do you know which port the printer used when it worked correctly? What has changed since then? You mention "problems" but do not say what they were

Please can you give a little more information and also say if the printer works with a usb connection and the appropriate driver and set up and, if you have tried uninstalling the various ports

novis 12:41 05 Mar 11

The printer normally connects to LPT1 - a printer port.

All that has changed since then is that when I deleted the printer to reinstall it [because it wasn't printing] I received the error message, above [=which may have been coincidental and not related].

Problem with the existing port is that the printer pauses after each page instead of printing continuously.

The printer is connected via USB connection. I have tried deleting the virtual USB port from the Printer > Properties ? Ports but an error message informs that I cannot do so.['Selected port cannot be deleted. The action is not supported']

When I have reassigned the appropriate port an error message comes up when I try to print.

961 15:08 05 Mar 11

LPT1, from racking my brains, is a parallel port which is largely obsolete. If you google LPT1 you'll get a whole load of info

I don't have the manual for your printer or your computer and I was never into using Vista which may make me a bit of a last chance saloon to sort your problem!!

However my recollection of HP drivers leads me to think you choose fairly early on in the procedure if you want to go LPT or USB connection and the relative drivers are very different

Also, once the printer is connected and "seen" by the computer you are stuck with which driver you have chosen

I'm also aware that you can delete ports such as LPT1 and LPT2 from your system (see google) which I think you may want to do to solve this

You may wish to contact HP support or trawl their forums although I haven't done this to see if there is a fix suggested

I remain of the opinion that the fix is to ensure via uninstall, CCleaner, Start>search>HP that you've deleted all files relating to this printer, then rebooting and starting a fresh install and NOT connecting the printer to the computer or turning on its power supply until told to do so

It's also worth looking at the Microsoft and HP sites to see which drivers are available for your printer using Vista

novis 20:49 17 Mar 11

This problem sort of resolved itself - or else something else I did worked.

Thanks to all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…