Printer Installation

Steve 1812 09:44 22 Sep 10

I recently bought a new HP C4780 wireless printer, having owned a Laserjet 4m for the past 17 years with a only the occasional cartridge change and a change of rollers.

So, set the printer up ready for installation, as I have wireless router I thought great, no cables running everywhere. Opened HP.com and downloaded latest drivers, and ran setup. Because this was first time, I was asked to connect via USB cable to configure printer.

This setup informed me that Windows Firewall was not running and would not proceed until I fixed this problem. As I use Kaspersky Internet solution, and therefore Windows Firewall is disabled, but to proceed I was forced to enable the firewall. Windows firewall is about effective as a chocolate guard around an open fire. On completion I disabled Windows Firewall, and found that the wireless network to the printer also failed. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Software/Hardware manufacturers should not force people to rely on only Microsoft products, and if this is the future we, the end users, should be more circumspect and boycott these lazy manufacturers products. There are plenty of alternatives.

As a precaution in future before making a purchase I will download the drivers and try to install them before making a purchase.

What would be nice is when PC Magazines review hardware, perhaps a brief paragraph stating any special requirements, such as Windows firewall needed etc.

Regards

Stephen Lewis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…