Printer insists on windows 98 CD

Paul-Hasn't-a-PC-clue 21:49 23 Sep 03

Hello all.
Firstly I would like to thank the moderator for reinstating my email address on here. Hopefully the new username is a little more acceptable...:@)

My PC went bandy, so I have had it into shop, and evrything wiped, and windows 98 reloaded. However when I try set up my printer it asks me to insert 98CD(That I don't have)

MAJ 21:55 23 Sep 03

If the shop re-installed Windows for you they might have put the Windows files on your hard drive for just such an occasion. Usually they would put then at C:\Win98. Do a search for that Win 98 folder see if it's there, if it is point Windows to look there for the files rather than your CD drive.

sil_ver 22:01 23 Sep 03

Do a search in windows for 'cabs' as what you want is probably in there. Path will be something like, c:\windows\system\options\cabs

keith-236785 23:04 23 Sep 03

or go to the shop and ask them to lend you "your" windows disc.

then make a copy of it or copy it onto your hard drive for when you decide to buy a scanner and have the same problem.

i am not suggesting piracy, just that if the shop has installed windows on your computer then you have a right to that version of windows, thats the whole point of licences. one windows licence on one computer.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…