Printer ink cartridge levels

Rhuddlan 23:44 07 Feb 05

A friend of mine has windows xp home sp2 and a lexmark X1180 and she has recentley installed new ink cartridges which are lexmark ones and doesn't use the printer much, so both of these cartridges should be near enough full, but according to the lexmark solution centre, the black one is empty and the colour one is a quater full, that is impossible. I have reinstalled the cartridges for her and the software and drivers, so anyone know what's going on?

Rhuddlan 00:12 08 Feb 05

bump

jack 08:41 08 Feb 05

The first thing to that comes to mind is that in all these 'Levels indicators' is that they do not actually record ink level at all.
There is no electronic measuring link between Cart and computer.
It is in fact a simple software guess based on the number of sheets of paper passed through the machine.
So it is likely a machine fault - switch or sensor stuck.
So long as the printer delivers printed pages, igonre the level indicators.

anniel 09:45 08 Feb 05

I got into a panic because my cartridge was showing empty. Husband said...ignore it and keep printing until your prints are too pale.

That was two-3 weeks ago and I am still printing fine. I will only install the new one when this one is absolutely empty.

Fellsider 10:28 08 Feb 05

You should get a window up when you change the cartridges asking if they are used or new ones (this is followed by the one to realign them).

Click on 'new' and that should reset the indicators.

I agree wuith 'jack' above I think that the indicators estimate usage from the number of pages printed.

spuds 10:56 08 Feb 05

Like most people here. Ignore the message until you printing begins to fade.I use my Lexmark X5150 daily, and according to the indicator, I ran out of ink about a week or more ago!.

Would suggest, that you remove ink cartridges, then re-assemble and press select then new.See if they show as full on the indicator.

But then on the other hand, you could have purchased a couple of dodgy print cartridges ;o)

Rhuddlan 00:33 14 Feb 05

Have purchased new cartridges and all is fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…