Printer help

jane eyre 00:04 22 Jan 03
  jane eyre 00:04 22 Jan 03

can any one please help me. I am a complete novice and know very little about P.Cs, this belongs to my 10 year old daughter. I want to buy a cheap, basic printer to go with this PC. It must be easy to install and easy to use.She has a Compaq presario 5000 series. no5446EA. gratefull for any info or help any wiz kids out there can give me. many thanks. Lion

VoG™ 00:12 22 Jan 03

Well here's a selection click here

It really depends on what you want to do - I guess a really cheap prinrer will do for most schoolwork.

It should not matter what PC you have as long as there is a printer socket at the back (which there will be).

NOTE: You normally have to buy a cable as this is not supplied with the printer.

Worf100 00:47 22 Jan 03

Printers come with two types of cable connections, the newer USB looks like a UK telephone socket whilst the parallel port is about 30 mm long by 7 mm wide with two rows of holes. You should have a parallel port but may also have USB.
If you like paying for an item and taking it away your local ASDA (No I do not work for them !) have two printers on offer, the one I looked at was an EPSON C62 @ £72, they also have a cheaper Lexmark, both good printers.
In the long term its the cost of the ink which gives the true cost of a printer. If you are OK with pre owned try a local second hand computer retailer and you may also get the cables with it (power and printer). I used to use a Cannon 620 printer in which all the four inks came in separate cartridges (my current Epson has one black and one for the three colours so if one runs out I have to exchange the complete cartridge).
Need any more help send me an e-mail
Good Luck

Djohn 01:10 22 Jan 03

As above, and you will find that Epson do a good range of quality printers C42, C62, C82 etc.

Although you can buy compatible inks for most printers, you will find that Epson compatibles tend to be cheaper. I would think an Epson would probably cost you in the region of £25-00 to £35-00 per year in ink, some printers especially the cheaper ones may cost you up to £100-00 per year to run!

A good place to start is to look at the reviews on this site, (Top left) click on there and read up a little and post back on this thread.

If you can give a price that you wish to pay
forum users will help you and look for the cheapest price and where to buy. Regards. J.

shifty 21:15 22 Jan 03

Epson C42 printer in the sale at Pc World and also available at Argos. Cracking little printer for the school work etc. Doesn't do a bad photographic print for the slightly more detailed work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…