//some 3rd party need geo

Printer for heavyweight media

daktari 10:52 21 Apr 03

One of my regular uses for my digital pix is to print a variety of cards (birthday, greetings, etc). I have found suitable media to be 210g double-surface coated card - and get good results.

I use 2 printers - HP Deskjet 970 (which successfully loads the card if I feed it in by single sheets, but produces less than perfect colour balance) and an Epson Stylus Photo 890 ( which produces more realistic colours, but is very reluctant to pick up the media even when I try to coax it in one sheet at a time)

In all the reviews of printers I read, I never see a reference to the maximum weight of paper / card which the printer will accept. I know that many will feed their own brand of photo paper - but which is the best printer for a wider range of media? Any suggestions?

Peter 11:11 21 Apr 03

I also have an Epson Stylus Photo 890 and have used Kodak Premium M 220g/m2, 200 micron Picture Paper and Jessops 260 gsm Ink Jet Paper, both without any problems. I leave the printer head setting on the thick (+) setting for most of my work as I use 100gsm paper for letters.

I would wait for some other responses, but I think there may be a problem with your particular printer's paper handling capabilities.

Peter.

Pesala 11:22 21 Apr 03

I couldn't see the specs for the 890 but the 900 seems quite able to handle card up to 2.5 mm, or 255gsm photo paper.

click here

Megatyte 11:29 21 Apr 03

I use an HP 930c and have no problem with 230 gsm card straight from a full feeder. The print quality is also excellant.

AH

daktari 12:10 21 Apr 03

Both the Epson & HP printers when I first bought them were happy to automatically pick up & feed the heavy weight coated card - but as time has gone by (perhaps the coating on the card has resulting in the pick-up rollers developing a smooth sheen?) they no longer accept the heavy weight media. As I said before the HP will accept single sheets byt the Epson doesn't want to know!

Has anyone any experience / advice / tips on cleaning / roughing up (!) the rollers (Epson technical advice centre was unhelpful).

Bagsey 12:42 21 Apr 03

I have an Epson Stylus 880 and a HP 3822 and both handle your weight of media without much hassle. My old printer went a bit as you describe for yours and contrary to everything that you read and are advised not to do I cleaned the pickup rollers with Methylated Spirit on lint free rag, which worked well. I nutralised the meths with damp cloth (water). On one occasion I even used 1000 grade wet and dry emery, all with no ill effects.
I know people are afraid to do this after dire warnings about warranties, but the thought of a minmum charge at the repaires of about £50 I thought that it was worth the risk when you can buy a printer for less than the cost of the ink cartridges. Anyway the decision is now in your court. Good Luck.

daktari 12:46 21 Apr 03

Thanks Bagsey - I'll give it a go!

-pops- 12:58 21 Apr 03

I've done exactly the same things as Bagsey with complete success. I've also tried "roughing up" the roller surface with the eraser on the top of a pencil. They all work.

Be careful not to use any solvent other than meths (alcohol) on the rollers. I heard of someone using dry cleaning solvent on them. The rollers went permanently sticky and left sticky marks on all paper that went through.

Brian

BrianW 14:17 21 Apr 03

HP used to provide a roller cleaning paper kit. The paper was similar to a fine grade sandpaper and you simply ran it through a few times to remove the surface glaze on the rollers. Don't know if they still sell this product. Regarding the colour accuracy - I find that I need to adjust the colour balance/intensity for different weight and texture papers. Its worth trying a few test runs and then saving the settings when you have finished printing the image. In this way I have been able to print up to 280gsm card on my HP720, (I'm still experimenting with my current psc2115 but can certainly use 210gsm without problem).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…