Printer fried?

fermerboy 00:13 07 Sep 04

My old fellas computer got a surge during a lightening storm last week. Totally fried the modem, phone cable in the house and the cheap surge protector. The computer seems fine but the printer (epson c20 on parallel port) won't work. It lights up and makes the right noises on switch on but nothing on printing a doc, tried my c60 and nothing either. Going to check his c20 on mine next. Would I be right in thinking that the parallel port on the motherboard is kaput? Is there any way of checking this? And is the only fix a new Mo'board.

pmjd 09:45 07 Sep 04

Most priners will let you print a test page direct from the printer. Give that a go to test if the printer is OK.

As for fixes you can try and track down a PCI card with parallel ports, I tried ebuyer but they were dicontinued. On the other hand if there is a spare USB port you can use this USB to parallel converter click here

Depends what motherboard you have at the moment? As some will be easier (or cheaper) to replace than others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…