printer & files sharing

shy 07:54 06 May 05

I have set up Netgear ADSL DG 834G wireless router and share a destop and laptop internet,regret unable to figure files and printer sharing,could some one help thanks

mgmcc 11:34 06 May 05

1) Set any Folders and/or Printers that you want to be available over the network as "shared" by right clicking them and selecting the Sharing option.

2) If using Windows 98/ME, in Network Properties (right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties), click the "File & Printer Sharing" button and ensure the appropriate boxes are ticked.

3) If using a software Firewall, put the IP addresses of the networked PCs in its "trusted" area.

4) For Printer sharing:

a) Connect the printer to the laptop, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

b) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the laptop's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the laptop. If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here;en-us;141839

mgmcc 11:36 06 May 05

URL should be:

http : / /

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

shy 08:56 09 May 05

os windows xp both pc
home & small office network wizard exercised several times,
"pingcomputername"not recognised in host & guest pc
please help
thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…