Printer feeds a sheet when I switch on my PC

bjk 09:26 30 Jun 06

Poltergeist? This started a year ago: In the moment I switch on the PC, before the BIOS starts wakening up, and before the disks starts spinning, my printer (HP DJ 5652) switches itself on and feeds a sheet, ready to print. What is this? I use parallel cable (correct quality), when I disconnect this, it does not happen. One day when I only connected the power cable to the PC, before switching on the PC, the same happened. Anybody understanding what happens? Something with the power, or grounding? My OS is XP SP2.

johnnyrocker 09:38 30 Jun 06

is there for some reason a print queue?

johnny.

bjk 10:50 30 Jun 06

As far as I know, no. I don't know printers well, could there be something saved in the printer, could that be possible?

Pamy 10:58 30 Jun 06

Does this happen if you have the printer switched off, start your computer and when fully up and running, turn your printer on?

bjk 12:12 30 Jun 06

Yes

bjk 12:22 30 Jun 06

Pamy, just a second, to be precise: I have not tested excactly this situation, normally I have the printer switched off.

geedad 13:31 30 Jun 06

bjk.
Go to your printer's 'Property', then clear any jobs waiting to be printed.
geedad

Graham ® 14:30 30 Jun 06

Please clarify: is it taking a sheet in to the printer, or ejecting a blank sheet?

wee eddie 16:26 30 Jun 06

The solution was to turn off your printer at the end of the printing session rather than from the PC.

It will also save you ink as every-time the printer gets turned on, it goes through a cleaning cycle.

p;3 18:32 30 Jun 06

bookmarked; I have just learnt something from this thread, to leave my printer off when powering up:))

bjk 19:50 30 Jun 06

Thanks to everybody.
geedad: I cannot find any waiting print job in "Property"
Graham: It feeds a sheet, then waiting some time (obviously for a print job), then ejecting the balnk sheet.
wee eddie: My printer IS switched off after printing sessions, still it turns itself on when I switch on my PC.
p;3: It doesn't help just switch it off, I (or possibly you) have to disconnect it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…