Printer driver problem due to registry remnants?

Diemmess 18:17 30 Nov 06

After discussion on another thread I'm revising my question here. click here
Until recently have had Epson EPL5800 (mono laser) Photo870 and Perfection V100 available to a W2000 system.

The W2K system was rebuilt a month ago all singing etc... until I tried to install an old SCSI scanner. Much strife, unable to install, short on patience, bought the V100

Somewhere before that the laser printer started throwing a 'communication error' at me. I was able to use the printer normally once I OK'd the message, but still cannot access its Utilities Monitor.

Live help from Epson and their own tech phone number took me in the usual circles of uninstall/reinstall including the USB controller.

I have a bare-bones drive on the same hardware, with W2K, mobo drivers and the laser printer only.
Absolutely no problems.

After backing up I ran CCleaner and then searched the Registry deleting everything that contained Epson 5800 and a lot that referred to the extinct scanner a 5500.

No difference!

Now the questions?

Does anyone have a favourite registry cleaner.
CCleaner found all sorts that should not have been left?
Or
Do I rebuild a clone from the bare bones drive knowing that it will take almost a couple of days to install and tweak the stuff I use?

skidzy 19:07 30 Nov 06

I have had one or two little prolems with ccleaner under the Issues app,however this was not to much of a problem due to the backup it gives you.

Though i do find Regscrubxp a bit better and more thorough,and seems a little more aggresive.....so is best used with a little caution.

After reading through your previous thread,it looks like you may be concerned with left over registry paths from previous uninstallations causing conflicts.
I suppose you could try Cleanup click here this can be set to be very aggressive, i would be inclined to create a restore point first or a backup of the registry if used aggressively.

Maybe this will help Diemmess,good luck.

anskyber 19:10 30 Nov 06

I use regscrub and I have found it to to fine. If you are concerned about it the choice is there to identify individual elements to delete and leave the rest.

Diemmess 16:50 01 Dec 06

I weighed up the alternatives and decided to rebuild a "new computer" on a spare drive.

I had the barest version saved for exactly this purpose. It took me 5 hrs to dress it up with all the apps and gizmos, but now everything works as it should.

The alternative was to have a thorough scour of the registry, but I decided I had spent long enough up that creek courting disaster and not achieving what was wanted.

Regscrub sounded like the tool for the job and I'm grateful for your suggestion. For that reason I will tick this thread

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now