Printer doesn't appear in Device Manager

quack 09:44 18 Jan 06

I have two printers connected to my computer but only one of them shows in Device Manager. The one that doesn't show is an HP Deskjet 3820. The one that does show is a Lexmark P3150. Both printers work but my OS (XP Home SP2) freezes intermittently. I think it may be caused by the HP printer. I have the latest drivers loaded and have uninstalled and reinstalled both printers. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

woodchip 10:30 18 Jan 06

They do not show in Device Manager. Try Start\Settings\Printers

quack 16:08 18 Jan 06

Thanks. Both printers show as being installed in Control Panel > Printers. and both work but I still think the HP is causing the intermittent freezing but I really don't want to completely remove it from the computer as I tend to use it for simple printing jobs as it is cheaper to run than the Lexmark.

Damn Machine 16:38 18 Jan 06

Might seem overly simple - but is it turned on?

Diemmess 16:57 18 Jan 06

You XP me 2000.........But I think we are fundamentally the same
I have two printers (USB) and only one is connected at any one time and even that is usually switched off.

Curiously, though both appear in Control Panel > Printers, (as well as Fax and Acrobat Distiller).....
There are NO printers shown in Hardware > Device Manager.
Perhaps it is the Lex which is interfering, any yellow flag? I would try deleting the printer in device manager, reboot, and see what Windows does about it.

woodchip 18:59 18 Jan 06

The one in Devise Manager is it under LPT1, As that should be the only one that shows on Parallel port

Diemmess 19:32 18 Jan 06

You're correct. My LPT1 owns up to a non-specific ECP printer port. (Was used by an Epson inkjet which now uses USB)

quack 20:14 18 Jan 06

I have yet again uninstalled and reinstalled the HP printer having found that there was a corruption in the Printer Assistant programme. All now seems to be OK. Thanks to all who have responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…