Printer disables Internet connection

charro 23:35 14 Mar 04

Hi i hope that somebody can help me with this problem. I have recently installed a new printer, multi purpose device ( a epson CX6400). If i switch on the printer and print something off and then try to access a different internet site i get the "this page is unavaiable"page and cannot access any internet pages. I then have to switch the printer off before i can get to any internet site, which is a real pain .Basically the two dont work if together. I have uninstalled the printer software and reinstalled it-to no avail Thanks in advance for any help charro

jonnytub 23:59 14 Mar 04

download spybot and update the library before you use it. you can get spybot from click here+

jimv7 08:34 15 Mar 04

If you are using usb to connect the printer and modem, and the printer is drawing too much power.

xania 08:46 15 Mar 04

Jimv7 probably has the answer. I discovered some time ago that you cannot have both a USB modem and a USB hub. The hub, it seems, takes so much power that the modem, which needs a lot of power, becomes disabled. I have even tried connecting the hub via the separate connectors on the mobo itself - click here (a valuable source of USB information) says this will work but I found that it does not. I have also heard that adding a separate USB board will give you the extra power yu need, but have never tried it.

stlucia 12:32 15 Mar 04

If power is the problem, a self-powered hub would solve it because it wouldn't draw any power from your PC.

TBH1 12:39 15 Mar 04

Hasn't the cx6400 its own power supply ? If so would it still draw power from the USB ??

obbit 13:51 15 Mar 04

jimv7 is correct. i put my modem into an eternet card now and i have no problems. card only cast £10 or there abouts and it has made all the difference.

xania 13:55 15 Mar 04

Sorry stlucia - you would think so but it doesn't seem to work. In fact click here has a definite down on these hubs.

stlucia 14:21 15 Mar 04

xania, the link you gave us goes only to the home page -- but if I then click on Tested/Approved and then USB 1.1 Hubs I see a note that "Powered Hubs can and often do correct USB power problems with some USB Host Controllers". Okay, I know that's a highly qualified statement, but I can't find anything on the site that leads me to conclude they have a down on hubs in general.

charro 20:16 15 Mar 04

Hi, just got in from work and thanks to everyone for the advice and information. it makes sense what JIMV7 says regarding drawing to much power down.I'll have a check on the recommended links and might have to invest in a self powered hub that STLUCIA suggested.
The computer is about 4 years old with a Celeron 400 inside . we are just looking to replace the computer in the next month - do you think the extra power etc in a minimum of say a 2.8 Athalon would cope with this issue without going down the road of a powered hub or would this make no difference

xania 08:53 16 Mar 04

The page also provides a Forumm Board with very detailed Q&A Forum and Forum Archives. This is where you will find loads of information. The structure has changed since I last went there to one similar to that of this site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…