printer connection to network via USB

Templar1961 16:28 25 Jan 07

Can I connect a printer to a pc with a USB cable and then share it over a network?

mgmcc 16:35 25 Jan 07

Yes, that is the way it is most commonly done. The alternative is to use a "Network Print Server", so that no particular PC needs to be running to "host" the printer.

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here

Templar1961 18:42 25 Jan 07

Why do some people still use parallel printer cables instead of USB to connect?

mgmcc 08:52 26 Jan 07

Possibly because they are using older hardware that only has a parallel port. I know someone who uses a sophisticated "all-in-one" in a commercial situation and that device only has a parallel port. Network Print Servers are probably more commonly used in commercial networks (where parallel connections are not unusual) than in home networks.

Templar1961 09:57 26 Jan 07

A friend just ordered a HP LaserJet P2015 for his business and it only has a USB connection.

It will be used on a small network of 8 pcs, no print server. I just wanted to check that the printer was suitable for his needs. I thought parallel connections were for older hardware, but are they still required for networking?

mgmcc 12:17 26 Jan 07

<<< I thought parallel connections were for older hardware, but are they still required for networking? >>>

No, but for some reason Network Print Servers with a parallel interface are easier to find than with USB.

I have a Linksys Network Print Server with a USB printer port click here

Strawballs 12:25 26 Jan 07

Software Installed Drivers & Utilities
HP Embedded Web Server
HP Toolbox

This was taken from specifications on the Novatech site and I am assuming from the "HP Embedded Web Server" that it has a built in print server and you should be able to connect it straight to the network and not have it sharing from any 1 PC.

Others may put me straight if I am wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…