Printer Blocked

Big Trev 12:02 11 Jan 09

I have an HP 1410 printer and the other day I set up a Linux Laptop to print to it from the network. It didn't work, and now I have "Remote Downlevel Document" at the top of my print queue and it wont delete. This blocks any other documents from printing.

Is there a way of clearing this without uninstalling and installing the printer?

Thanks.

johndrew 13:24 11 Jan 09

It could be a virus (such as the `fun love virus`) which is causing the problem, in which case a full scan with a good AV should sort it out.

Failing that there is an explanation by MS click here;en-us;134779

A potential cure is at the bottom of this page click here

johndrew 13:26 11 Jan 09

Sorry, MS link is bad. Use this click here

Big Trev 13:35 11 Jan 09

Thanks, but that article applies to Windows 95 and doesn't say how it can be deleted.

I'm running XP Professional. Any other thoughts?

Sea Urchin 13:52 11 Jan 09

johndrew's second link @13.24 refers to Win XP Pro and shows a potential cure at the bottom of the page - thus

"On the Win XP machine, open printers and faxes, right click the icon for the
shared printer, select properties. On the ports tab of the properties dialogue
, select the port with the shared printer and deselect "Enable bi-directional
support". That should fix it."

Big Trev 14:02 11 Jan 09

For some reason (I think Zonealarm thinks it is a spy site) I can't open that link. I get page load error. I've switched off Zone Alarm, but I still can't get it. Apologies to John.

Meanwhile, I have disabled Bi-directional support and it still won't delete.

Big Trev 16:06 11 Jan 09

I rebooted and it cleared the blockage, after following johndrew's advice of course. Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…