Davella 20:13 19 Aug 05

My Epson C40 printer has stopped and a message comes onto the screen saying maintenace needed. Anyone know of a work around?

Technotiger 20:38 19 Aug 05

Hi, go to Start>ControlPanel>Faxes&Printers left-click on Printer Icon then right-click on Printer Preferences then on Maintenance tab and follow on-screen instructions.

Davella 00:14 20 Aug 05

Thanx Technotiger but I'm running Win98SE on a AMD2/K6 chip and your suggestion does'n seem to apply.

Technotiger 01:12 20 Aug 05

OK - but you should still have a printer icon, possibly in the system tray at bottom right of screen, or in My Computer. Afraid I can't remember '98SE, I did have it but was a long time ago. If you can find your printer icon, then my instructions should still apply.

Or - open up a printable file on screen then go to File>Print>PageSetup (or similar) and you should then find Printer Preferences and within that, continue as above. I hope that makes sense.

BT 09:14 20 Aug 05

This is an oldish printer and the message probably means that the Waste ink counter has reached its limit and will probably stop the printer working. The Epson ploy is to get you to have the pronter serviced which is probably not an economic option.
The work around is to goto click here where you can download some software which will let you reset the ink counter and get the printer running again.

pj123 10:06 20 Aug 05

A tip I was given by an Epson Tech Support guy was: Never switch the printer off, this will stop it initialising every time which wastes ink.

I have 3 Epson printers, all left on all the time and I haven't had any problems since.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:34 20 Aug 05

Printer companies set a “protection counter” on all printers , it’s an internal counter measuring the amount of ink wasted by head cleaning.

Reset the "protection counter" as well as clean the “waste ink pad overflow”.

1. Unplug the power and USB cables from the printer. Pry open the C40UX printer, careful not to break anything. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pry it apart; there are two-three tabs at the back and two at the front. Gently push them in, and then using a bit of force pry apart the cover.

2. Next remove the two (2) waste ink pads. They are located at the back on the left hand side. I used the flat blade screwdriver to lift up the ink pads (they were soaked). Please use rubber gloves as it gets very messy.

3. Next wash them with just plain hot water until they are white again. I just let the hot water run on them (the pads are about three inches long).

4. Once washed dry them using a hair drier. (you could place it the sun for a few hours or on top of your heater or maybe in a heated oven; (make sure you do not set it on fire with too much heat).

5. Once dried place the pads back in the ink waste bin at the back of the printer.

6. Closed the printer cover and put back all the pieces and plug in the USB & power cable and turned it on. (Yes the lights are still flashing).

7. Go to this link and download this software: click here

8. Install the software and run it.

9. Select your printer and model number ( It only says C40 there is no UX, choose it anyway). It will ask if you replaced with new pads; say “YES”. Then close the window.

10. Now right click on the SSC service utility, it looks like a printer icon near your clock in the task bar.

11. Then click on reset counters. You can do all other stuff with this utility too.

12. Turn off the printer power and then turn it on again. If necessary un-plug the power cord from the back of the printer, wait 20 seconds. Plug it back in.

Davella 20:58 20 Aug 05

Thanks all I'll give it a go. What have I got to lose?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…