Print spooler problem

bruno 19:39 PM 09 May 12

This last few days every time I use my Canon IP4500 and try to print it tells me that the print spooler is not running.I can start it again by going through the control panel and switching it back to automatic, but each time I restart the PC it has gone back to stop/manual.I use Windows7. Any suggestions appreciated.I have reinstalled the printer but it is still faulty.

c4rm0 20:17 PM 09 May 12

Have a look in the Event logs to see if Spoolsv.exe is crashing. Normally when the spooler crashes its to do with a corrupt driver

Have a look in C:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS and delete any .spl, .shd, or .tmp files

When you reinstall a printer it normally keeps the driver on the machine. Best way to make sure the driver is gone before reinstalling is to go into Devices & Printers highlight a printer and choose Print server properties and click on the Driver tab to comfirm it is removed. You might have to stop the spooler service to delete

bruno 13:26 PM 10 May 12

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try and post back.

bruno 18:51 PM 28 Jun 12

Sorry I did not post back earlier, not been too well. I managed to temporarily get over my problems by reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch. I have not downloaded all the updates, as that seems to be where the troubles start. It seems to be SP1 causing the problem so I have run it for a couple of weeks like that and both the Print spooling and the BSOD have stopped going wrong. I intend to download updates one at a time apart from that one and see how it goes.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites