Print Spooler always need re-starting after booting my Windows 8.1 Laptop

RISC OS user 16:42 11 Feb 14
Answered

Every time I start the first print job of the day I receive a message cannot print or something similar and have to go to "Command Prompt" and type "Services.msc" and press return Then "Services" is displayed and one has to scroll down to "Print Spooler", highlight it and then click restart. Now I will be able to print until the next re-boot. I have Windows 8.1 64bit installed on Laptop. Wired LAN, printer is attached to my Desktop PC via USB. The Desktop is running Windows 7 home premium. I can print every time from the Desktop.

RISC OS user 16:47 11 Feb 14
Answer

I should have added to my question... Is there a permanent way around this please? Now perhaps the question makes sense.

onthelimit1 17:16 11 Feb 14

When you look in Services, is Print Spooler set to Automatic?

RISC OS user 20:58 11 Feb 14

Yes it is set to automatic.

wee eddie 00:51 12 Feb 14

You only need to use the spool function when you are creating a queue of print jobs.

so, why is it turned on?

RISC OS user 10:45 12 Feb 14

why is it turned on? I do not know, I just know that to get anything to print I have to go through the procedure as set out in my question. I obtained the procedure from the Forum a few months ago.

wee eddie 12:08 12 Feb 14

Obviously I cannot comment on anything that you have been previously told, without access to the original.

The usual reason for using the Spooler Function is to print a Multi Page Document (Book, pamphlet, high definition photo) that requires more memory that the printer's inbuilt memory allows.

RISC OS user 14:05 12 Feb 14

Whilst I would not wish you to comment on other persons posts. As I am printing through another PC surely the RAM in that PC will deal with any buffer (in the printer) being full, do you think that if the print Spooler was disabled then the problem would be over come? I will give it a try and report back.

RISC OS user 14:25 12 Feb 14

No that did not work. Had to restart Print Spooler!!!!!!!!!!!

However I do run a programme "Virtual Acorn" and that prints through a programme which sits on both my PC and Laptop it is called Uniprint/scan and this appears to by-pass the problem and I can print letters etc.,from within Virtual Acorn while the Spooler is off.

Virtual Acorn runs in Windows OS but also runs RISC OS as though it is a real Acorn Risc PC. See click here
click here
click here still have no idea what the problem might be.

I

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5