Print Server Device

Sebby 12:49 04 Jun 03

I've finally got to the stage where I've had enough of the printing problems to a computer running Windows 2000. The whole problem with the usernames and passwords that computers must be logged on as in order to print is just too much, and so I've decided to get a print server device.

I have an EPSON Stylus Color 760, which can connect by USB and parallel.

Could someone recommend to me a good device that will run independently of a computer that I can attach my printer to and print flawlessly from the clients running Windows 98, 2000, XP Home and Pro.

Many thanks in advance.

Sebby 13:42 04 Jun 03

Refresh

fitshase 14:40 04 Jun 03

go to click here

and have a look for the PS101. Simply plug it in the back of your printer (parallel) and then run a network cable from the print server to your network.

Have a look here to purchase:-

click here and do a quick search for PS101

I have no experience of it as I have a router with a built in print server but it seems a neat little device to use.

regards

Fitshase

jazzypop 14:44 04 Jun 03

Or buy one of the several Netgear routers with a built-in print server, for only a little more. I use the FR114P, which works just fine. I believe the DG814 is a good ADSL-specific alternative.

Sebby 15:34 04 Jun 03

Thanks, I'll look into this.

Sebby 16:09 04 Jun 03

I've just looked into the PS101 and afraid it's not what I'm looking for. This is an add-in for a printer that will take it.

I need a device that the printer can be plugged into via parallel or USB, then a network cable can go from that device to a switch to the rest of the network.

Any ideas?

Sebby 16:10 04 Jun 03

Actually, take that last post back. I see what this does - it plugs into the parallel port directly into the printer - am I correct?

fitshase 16:18 04 Jun 03

You are correct. You plug the print server into the parallel port of your printer and then connect it via a network cable to your switch and the rest of your network.

If you haven't got a router running on your network (for internet access to broadband) I would go with jazzypop's advice and get a router with a print server built in. That way, all machines can access the internet and print without a specific machine having to be switched on.

regards

Fitshase

Sebby 20:22 04 Jun 03

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've already got a router that I'm very happy with, so it looks like the print server will have to be an addition.

The NetGear PS101 looks very good, although it seems quite pricey for such a small gadget at ~£60...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…