Print driver conflict with recovered Windows 98

Kingmo 19:25 01 Jan 03
  Kingmo 19:25 01 Jan 03

Help! PC crashed, cause unknown, clear of virus probs (Norton). Used set up recovery disc but printer will not function (Epson760). Reloaded driver with difficulty several times removing original first. Comes up as default printer as expected, port ok and functioning but when attempt to print problem with EPICLR20DLL in ose in Windows system, cannot be renamed or removed, tis is an epson code. What's my problem?
Maybe a bigger PC prob but word and other progs functioning on screen.

LastChip 20:19 01 Jan 03

This is almost certainly a driver problem.

You could try this.

Right click "My Computer"; Properties; Device Manager, and delete the printer from device manager totally.

Make sure any Anti-Virus software you may have running is disabled.

Close the computer down, and COLD boot.

The printer should now be recognized and ask for the appropriate drivers. Load as required.

You haven't stated whether this is a USB printer, if so, and the manual says load the drivers first, when Windows asks to load the device, click cancel. Allow Windows to start. Make sure the printer is connected/disconnected as required by the manufacturers instructions and load the drivers.

It is very important with USB, that manufacturers instructions are followed, so read carefully, give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Kingmo 23:24 02 Jan 03

Printer not in device mamager though recognises port in use for epson. Have not tried removing Norton anti virus yet. Not a USB connection. Have loaded printer to my laptop no problem so sure connections, printer and driver OK. How can get the printer to device manager? Is this from the set up utility disk for the machine?
Thanks for your response.

KingMo

DieSse 23:36 02 Jan 03

When you delete the printer, make sure you also remove the epson software and epson status monitor.

It's also a good idea to scan the registry, and delete any references which include epson, and look over your HD and delete any remaining epson folders, and files. Also suggets you delete the file you refer to. Then, and only then, try the re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5