Print cartridge chips: are they easy to replace &

GaT7 11:28 01 Dec 09

do I need a chip re-setter? Or is the latter only required when refilling cartridges?

Going to purchase non-chipped ink cartridges for the first time for my Canon iP4600 (click here) & need to know the above please. G

P.S. Considered a CISS, but don't think I need one as my present printing is not very much - around 2-3 A4 sheets a month

anniesboy 12:05 01 Dec 09

I have a Canon iP42000 ,and used compatible cartridges and changed the chip. I used used a small screwdriver, all in all I found it too much of a fiddle.
I now use chipped compatible by Jet Tec from click here and find these much easier.

GaT7 12:29 01 Dec 09

Thanks anniesboy, I guess I was trying to save money by going for non-chipped cartridges. G

anniesboy 12:35 01 Dec 09

Yes I went down the save money route,initially but went for ease of use ,plus the ink level indicator works with chipped cartridges.
And with a small amount of printing the extra cost was not really an issue.

retep888 12:53 01 Dec 09

Is this any good for you?

click here

retep888 12:58 01 Dec 09

Link doesn't work

click here

Type ip4600 into search box

GaT7 13:21 01 Dec 09

Thanks retep888, excellent prices there! Do you know if they are chipped cartridges as this is not specified? And have you used them before? G

GaT7 13:21 01 Dec 09

By 'them' I meant this particular etailer. G

woodchip 13:26 01 Dec 09

For the amount you are doing a Laser would be best unless they are Photos as they do not get clogged ink jets you do not have the problem of printer cleaning its self

GaT7 13:35 01 Dec 09

"...you do not have the problem of printer cleaning its self"

Tell me about it woodchip! The printer does appear to waste a lot of ink doing just that - like in this complaint: 'Canon has set up MP980 to Deliberately waste ink' click here.

I can't see myself spending even more on a laser printer now though :-(. G

GaT7 15:36 01 Dec 09

Right, I've since found that UKDVDR's cheapest cartridges costing about a £1 each are non-chipped ones. The chipped ones cost a bit more - £2.62 to be precise - which is still very good. Delivery charges are spoiling it though. I think I might just get the eBay chipped set (5 cartridges) for ~£10 delivered.

Thanks again everyone for your help & suggestions. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos